HomeContactRecipesAbout

Monday, June 7, 2010

Me Vs. The Great Outdoors

I'm not much of a camper.  I can say the last time I camped it was 13 years ago, and it was in a cabin with my 8th grade cheerleading squad. I can't even remember how old I was the last time I slept in a tent.  I might have been 8 or 9 years old. 

If I remember correctly, most times I camped in a tent it rained.  Any place we camped that had showers, they were always cold. 

Friday night my family and I went for a one night camping trip.  It was fun, as far as fires, exploring, and hanging with friends go.  But it made me remember why I don't really like camping.  I CANT SLEEP. 

We slept in a tent in our sleeping bags.  The night was warm and perfect.  My husband and I probably went to sleep around midnight.  I woke probably around 2am FREEZING COLD.  I snuggled close to my kids whom I had covered with an extra blanket just in case.  I still froze. 

Anyhow, I still haven't given up on tent camping.  I think I just need to bring more stuff (another annoying thing about camping :) )  I think we'll experiment in the back yard (with a tent) until we get it right from now on.

Here's a camping list for anyone who is either a first time camper, or just hasn't gone in a long time.  Readers please feel free to add to my list in the comments section.  I am by no mean an expert camper. By the way, we camped in the mountains. 

1. Tent
2. Sleeping bags
3. Extra blankets for everyone.
4. AIR MATTRESSES (I've been told this might have kept me warm since the ground gets so cold)
5. pillows.
6. Warm PJs or long johns to go under PJs.
7. Coolers
8. Ice
9. Drinks for everyone for X amount of days you are camping
10. Meals for everyone for X amount of days camping.
11. Snacks
12. stuff for smores.
13. charcoals
14. cooking sticks for fire.
15. fire wood (purchased in state of camping since there are restrictions in some states about bringing in firewood)
16. lighter
17 newspaper (for starting fires)
18. napkins
19. plates/and forks etc.
20. toilet paper or tissues
21. wipes
22. hand sanitizer
23.sunblock
24. bug spray
25. board games, card games, dice games
26. back packs
27. water bottles
28. clothes for both warm and cold weather.
29. camping chairs
30. extra pairs of socks
31. hats/sunglasses
32. swim suits
33. towels
34. jackets/hoodies
35. guitar and guitar music (if you play)
36. Frisbee, football, soccer ball, volley ball, etc...sporting stuff.
37. soap
38. cameras
39. good books to read. 
40. lantern/flashlights
41. toothbrush/toothpaste
42. hairbrush/ other hair accessories
43. shampoo/ conditioner
44. deodorant

No comments:

Post a Comment